Introducing Baby Aadhav!

Robe c/o  Pajama Sutra // Swaddle 

Blessed to introduce Aadhav Bhaskaran! Born August 23rd weighing 6lbs, 14oz, 20in. Baby Aadhav and Mom are doing wonderful. Becoming a mother is truly the most beautiful experience and I’m excited to share this journey with you! It’s been such a blessing to have Aadhav in our lives and each day we settle more into our role as parents. Honestly it is (very) tiring but seeing our Baby Boy’s beautiful face, you forget about the tiredness, aches, and pains and do your best to give love and care to your little one. Each day is different, each day you learn more, and each day your heart fills with memories and laughter. This week we celebrated Aadhav’s First Week Birthday. I thought it was fitting to share his birth story since so many of you asked about the delivery. I’m writing this post on very little sleep so if some sentences don’t make sense, please forgive me!

Introducing Baby Aadhav!

Background: As you know, we found out I was expecting on Christmas Day. We had just moved to Singapore and I was adjusting to our new life half way around the world. Adjusting, pregnancy, and so many changes were a lot to handle but I tried my best to focus on the positive. One question I kept getting was, “Where are you having the Baby?!” Deciding whether to give birth in Singapore or the US was a tough decision. Giving birth in the US, I would be surrounded with family and friends. My sister (and best friend in the whole world) is also a pediatrician. She had my niece six months ago so traveling to Singapore for my delivery was not really an option. Also my closest friends all happened to be expecting around the same time and we were looking forward to sharing this experience together. Given that my husband travels 90% of the time, there was a chance he could be away when the baby decided to make his debut! All these reasons combined definitely made me want to go back to the US. Then I thought about being away from my husband for at least 2 if not 3 months before the delivery and 2-3 months after the delivery. For that reason alone, I decided to give birth in Singapore. For me, what was most important was sharing this experience together.

Week of: The seven days before I delivered were a huge change from my last few weeks of pregnancy. I was tired… really really tired. I slept for most of the weekend and my body was aching all over. Feeling Braxton Hicks contractions also helped prepare me for what was to come. My husband was still traveling but we agreed he would only travel to countries within an hour plane ride from Singapore. While I still worried that he could miss the delivery, I put my faith in God that everything would be ok. Also adding to the situation, my OB was on vacation till Tuesday that week. So there was a chance both my husband and OB could be away when things got going!

Monday: My body told me to take it easy. I decided to work from home for the first time during my pregnancy. My family and friends were so supportive during and the phone calls and messages checking to see how I was doing were so comforting. While the due date was September 1st, I could feel the baby would likely arrive sooner.

Tuesday: When I woke up, I noticed some bleeding down there. I called my OB who had just returned from vacation. She said the baby was likely on his way in the next 2-3 days! Soon, I started to feel regular contractions and called my husband to come home ASAP! Thankfully, he made it home by the afternoon when the contractions were about an hour apart. As I monitored the contractions through the evening, I felt a lot better that both my husband and OB were in town. That night was not easy. My heart was pounding and sleep was not really an option. I did think the baby would arrive that night, but he didn’t.

Wednesday: By the morning, the contractions were getting stronger. I called  my OB and decided to get seen even though my contractions were still 20 – 30 minutes apart. I am so glad I didn’t wait for the contractions to get to 4-5 minutes apart and then go straight to the hospital. I went to my OB after lunch (I wanted to eat at least one meal in case I went into delivery soon). During my appointment, my doctor decided to admit me right away.

Wednesday afternoon: As soon as I was admitted, the doctor called for my epidural. The anesthesiologist arrived swiftly and I didn’t feel any pain during the procedure. It took about 30 minutes for the epidural to kick in and I did feel quite a bit of pain during my contractions. The nurses at Mount Elizabeth Orchard were amazing and helped me breathe through the pain. My husband also helped keep me relaxed and calm by holding my hand and comforting me during the contractions. Also, I played the Gayatri Mantra during my entire delivery which helped keep my mind relaxed. As the epidural kicked in, I was able to sleep for an hour which helped prepare me for what was to come.

Pre – Delivery: “These ten fingers and ten toes have more strength than you will ever know” This phrase was on the painting in the delivery room. I kept reading it over and over praying the delivery would go smooth. As I become more dilated, the nurses prepped for my O’s arrival. Things moved in both slow motion and very quickly at the same time.

The Delivery: Push! My OB would help me count down and then I would push during the contractions. Your body feels almost in limbo since you have a lot of adrenaline, yet the bottom half of you feels almost numb. When it came time to push, I forgot about everything and only focused on delivery a healthy baby. With each push, I channeled every HITT, workout class, and bootcamp, and I had ever taken and pushed with all my might. With each push, the baby came closer to arriving into the world. At the very end, the Doctor did have to make a cut but that helped the baby’s head finally push through. At 8:00 pm on August 23rd, Aadhav Bhaskaran arrived into this world. weighing 6lbs, 14oz, 20in. Baby Aadhav and Mom are doing wonderful. Becoming a mother is truly the most beautiful experience and I’m excited to share this journey with you!

Post delivery: I’ll share more about my post delivery recovery, life with a newborn, and my new role as a mother soon. For now, I love holding and spending time with our little one. It’s also amazing to see my husband as a father. It’s an incredible time. I am so thankful everything went smooth and my faith in God has grown even stronger since my delivery. Yes nights can be long, and days are filled with little sleep. Seeing baby Aadhav’s face and holding him in my arms, all I feel is gratitude and blessings. For now, I am going to get in a quick nap before Aadhav wakes up!



  1. Simran says:

    Congratulations Dear! Thank you for sharing such a touching birth story and so glad Mom and Baby are doing great.