Of all our wedding events, our Sangeet (a big party thrown the night before the wedding) was our favorite. From the start, we set the tone that our wedding should be fun, memorable, and a reflection of us as a couple. Most important, we wanted our guests to feel taken care of. Our Sangeet catering, décor, and set up was all done by Silk Restaurant & Banquet Services. Sanjeev, the owner of Silk, and his team worked tirelessly with us to understand our vision and create a one-of-a-kind experience. From spending hours going through my Pinterest boards to coming up with his own ideas, Sanjeev and I worked together to design the stage, color schemes, and décor, along with the menu (which our guests still rave about!). Here are a few of the highlights from our Sangeet!
#Wedding Series – KandSKnotItUp Sangeet
Outdoor Floral Photobooth
- Our family and friends loved the floral backdrop we set up to welcome our guests and capture amazing photos. Strands of Marigold and Jasmine added an Indian touch and our custom signs and chalkboard made for a fun Team Bride vs. Team Groom competition.
- Since I am from North India and Shiv is from South India, we wanted our wedding to reflect both our cultures. My best friend Sheila kicked off our wedding functions by performing a dance medley to Hindi, Tamil, and Telugu songs sung live by Nirathi Rao Kalavapudi, founder of DC’s leading Indian Dance Troupe Rhythmaya. We had over 75 friends and family members perform everything from Indian classical dance to Carnatic fusion singing. Both Shiv and I joined in the fun with surprise performances!
Live Street Food
- The quality of food is an indication of a great Indian wedding. Thankfully, our food was a hit! Silk Restaurant is known for their live food stations. We selected a street-food theme and chefs made our favorite dishes such as Chaat, Pani Puri, Kabobs, and Jalebi (Indian dessert) live for our guests!
Dancing the Night Away
- Nonstop dancing and great music brought both sides together. DJ Ravi from Dynasty Entertainment was phenomenal at reading the crowd and found just the right balance of songs to keep the dance floor happening all night!
Lots of Love
- Many of our guests traveled from places such as India, Australia, London, and from all over the US. Since our family and friends traveled for us, we wanted to make sure they felt taken care of. From welcome bags to transportation from our Sangeet, we wanted our guests to have a blast while we took care of the details.
The Sangeet was the perfect way to start our celebrations. We thank our amazing team of vendors for making our Sangeet so special.
Vendors // Location, Décor, Setup – Silk Restaurant & Banquet Services // Makeup and Henna – Bridal Elegance – Suman Khosla // DJ – Dynasty Entertainment // Transportation – BBC Express // Performances – Rhythmaya / Planner – Sagina Wahi